Central High School


 

Opened in September of 1893, this imposing Victorian brick building sat at 1030 N. Grand. Unlike McKinley, Yeatman or Soldan, built around the same period, Central High school lacked the architectural designs of William B. Ittner. The school was seen as outmoded by the 1920s, by mid-decade a complete remodel including fireproofing was completed in order to bring the school up to modern standards. Tragically weeks after the school reopened it was ravaged by the 1927 tornado. Five young girls perished in the building during the storm. Afterwards, city officials deemed the building unfit for repairs, demolishing it completely and transferring students north to Yeatman (which was renamed “central high school”).


 

(St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 11/18/1890)

(St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 8/21/1927)

(St. Louis Star Times, 9/30/1927)

(St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 10/1/1927)

 



 

Additional Resources:


Norbury Wayman’s city history contains an interesting narrative of St. Louis neighborhood chronology including that of the yeatman area–including Central High School. To find this and similar stories you can click right here. 

Checkout the new postcard store in the About Section. Dismiss